Sunday, March 21, 2010

Celeriac Curry Fries

What the heck is that thing? Come here, do you see that? What the heck is that thing? Oh, I know what that is... what the heck is that thing? Well don't put your lips on it! What the heck is that thing?

Bill Murray and Steve Martin could have been talking about anything that late Saturday night in 19something. But I'm pretty sure what they really saw was a Giant Celeriac Root. When it first appeared in our CSA box, I believe I threw up a little in my mouth. I closed the box up tight, went to work and all but forgot about that horrifying moment. When I got home, my husband had done something miraculous. He transformed that hideous root into something Beautiful, and it was deep fried ta-boot! No surprise of course, he Loves fried food! He's like the Minnesota State Fair, he could deep fry a twinkie and you'd pay him for it!
  • Celeriac Root
  • Garam Masala
  • Hot Madras Curry powder
  • Salt
  • Corn Starch
  1. Peel and slice celeriac root into "fries"
  2. Place into boiling water until just under-tender. Dry fries off with towel.
  3. Toss fries in spice mixture (garam masala, curry powder, salt, corn starch) until well coated.
  4. Deep fry in veggie oil until centers sink in.
  5. Remove and cool.
  6. Eat

**This is where the "handful" part of the blog title plays a big part. No, I do not know how much of any of the spices I used. The basic principal is using celeriac instead of potatoes, and tossing them in a yummy mix of spices before deep frying**

No comments:

Post a Comment